This is the eGuide number for the object. You can find it next to selected objects in the exhibition.
This is the location number for the object.
Click here to go to the main menu.
Click here to change languages.
Click here to change the font size and log in.
Click here to show the location of the object.
Zoom with two fingers and rotate images 360° with one finger. Swipe an object to the side to see the next one.
Click here for background information, biographies, legends, etc.
Click here to listen to spoken texts or audio files.
Share an object.
Download as PDF.
Add to saved objects.
 
Chair, Scobalit, 1948
Willy Guhl
Chair, Scobalit
Willy Guhl,

Chair, Scobalit,
1948

Willy Guhl
*2015
g
f Object e
[{"lat":47.383004342514774,"lng":8.535917031623285},{"floor":"floorplan-ug"}]
BF
GF
1
2
2
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Ausstellungsstrasse 60
8031 Zurich
Museum map
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Toni-Areal, Pfingstweidstrasse 94
8031 Zurich
  • Scobalit Willy Guhl Chair
  • Scobalit Willy Guhl Chair
  • Scobalit Willy Guhl Chair
6
7
Listen to the text
j

The Scobalit chair, developed concurrently with the Eames Plastic Chair, is considered Europe’s first plastic shell chair. Unfortunately, Willy Guhl (1915–2004) needed many years to find a Swiss producer for his groundbreaking idea. Produced at the time in a limited quantity and a variety of colors, the chair is nearly impossible to find nowadays.

In 1946–47, Willy Guhl, assisted by his brother Emil, developed three ergonomic seat forms, making models out of clay. They were the basis for a lounger, an armchair, and a garden chair. Because the shape of their shells was derived from an anatomically correct mold adapted to individual body shapes and sitting positions, the chairs were so comfortable that they didn’t need cushions. With a series of design studies made from jute-reinforced plaster and plastic, the Guhl brothers studied the technical possibilities for producing a comfortable garden chair while giving the seat a natural and aesthetically pleasing shape. Taking his cue from the postwar design approach practiced in America and Scandinavia, Willy Guhl became a Swiss pioneer of the new “soft objectivity,” passing on his knowledge as a teacher and the founder of the first product design course at the Kunstgewerbeschule Zürich. His garden chair, intended as a weatherproof chair for outdoor use, can be disassembled by loosening two screws for stacking away in tight spaces. The Zurich firm Scott Bader produced Europe’s first plastic shell chair in a small edition made of fiberglass-reinforced polyester, marketing it under the name Scobalit—derived from the names of the company and the manufacturer of the material used. Despite widespread skepticism among designers regarding the use of the infinitely malleable synthetic material, in 1952 the Scobalit was the first plastic product to be awarded the “Die gute Form” seal by the SWB. (Renate Menzi)

Stuhl, Scobalit, 1948
Entwurf: Willy Guhl
Herstellung: Scott Bader & Co. AG, Zürich, CH
Material/Technik: Polyester, glasfaserverstärkt, gelcoated; Stahlrohr
34 × 49 × 60 cm
Eigentum: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK
Literatureo

Museum für Gestaltung Zürich (Hg.), 100 Jahre Schweizer Design, Zürich 2014, S. 148.

Peter Erni, «Neue Modernität – vage Zuversicht der Epoche: Willy Guhl und das Design der Nachkriegszeit», in: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich (Hg.), Willy Guhl. Gestalter und Lehrer, Reihe Schweizer Design-Pioniere 2, Zürich 1985, S. 12–21.

Biographyo
Willy Guhl
Willy Guhl
*1915 in Stein am Rhein
†2004 in Hemishofen

Nach einer Möbelschreinerlehre ermöglichte ein Stipendium Willy Guhl das Studium an der Kunstgewerbeschule (1934–1938), mit der er zeit seines Lebens eng verbunden blieb. Er absolvierte dort die Klasse für Innenausbau bei Wilhelm Kienzle. Bereits 1941, zwei Jahre nach der Gründung seines eigenen Ateliers in Zürich, kehrte Guhl als Lehrer für Innenarchitektur an die Kunstgewerbeschule zurück, ab 1951 übernahm er die Leitung. Er veranlasste in der Folge den Ausbau einer Fachklasse, die 1971 eine der wenigen Ausbildungsstätten für Produktgestaltung in der Schweiz war. Willy Guhl stellte bereits 1959 den Kontakt zwischen Schule und Industrie her. Guhls Lehre und Arbeit an der Schule wirkten sich prägend auf eine neue Generation Schweizer Innenarchitekten und Produktgestalter aus. Zu seinen Schülern zählten viele spätere Designgrössen, unter anderem Andreas Christen, Robert Haussmann, Kurt Thut und Stefan Zwicky. Neben seiner Lehrtätigkeit arbeitete Guhl an einer Fülle von Aufträgen aus der Industrie, wie für die Stuhlfabrik Dietiker oder den Landmaschinenhersteller Aebi. Guhls Interesse an industrieller Fertigung und neuen Produktionsmethoden ging mit einer leidenschaftlichen Suche nach der ergonomisch und anatomisch richtigen Form einher. Bereits ab 1947 entwickelte er zusammen mit seinem Bruder Emil Sitzschalen, deren Form sich direkt von der Anatomie des sitzenden Menschen ableitete. In der Eternit-Sitzschleife (1954) demonstrierte Guhl, wie sich der Werkstoff Faserzement materialgerecht nutzen liess. Seine Maxime, mit geringem Aufwand das Optimum zu erreichen, setzte er darin beispielhaft um. Der Strandstuhl oder Gartensessel, wie er auch genannt wird, ist eine freitragende, in sich stabile Konstruktion. 1955 erhielt der Stuhl die Auszeichnung «Die gute Form», heute gilt er als Meilenstein der Designgeschichte. (Andrea Eschbach)

Source:

Arthur Rüegg (Hg.), Schweizer Möbel und Interieurs im 20. Jahrhundert, Basel/Boston/Berlin 2002.
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich (Hg.), Willy Guhl. Gestalter und Lehrer, Reihe Schweizer Design-Pioniere 2, Zürich 1985.

Porträt Willy Guhl
Abbildung: Archiv ZHdK / Fotografie: unbekannt

Image creditso

Stuhl, Scobalit, 1948, Entwurf: Willy Guhl
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Sitzschale zu Stuhl, Scobalit, 1948, Entwurf: Willy Guhl
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Studie zu Sitzformen, 1947, Entwurf: Willy Guhl
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Werbeblatt, Scobalit – Schalenstuhl, um 1951, Auftrag: Scott Bader & Co. AG, Winterthur, CH
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK