After an artistic education in Zurich and Paris, sculptor Antonio Vitali (1909–2008) began to make wooden toys. The anthroposophically inspired, abstracted animal forms attracted interest, prompting Vitali to open a workshop in Zurich in 1944. He first supplied toys to Franz Carl Weber, and in 1954 began cooperating with the New York manufacturer Creative Playthings. In Switzerland, Vitali ran workshops in Thalwil and Sornico, and in Germany from 1968 to 1975 for the Otto Maier Verlag in Ravensburg. Vitali donated his entire archive to the Museum für Gestaltung in 1992.