The logo of the hygiene product manufacturer CWS consists of the initials of the Swiss company founder Hans Conrad Wolfgang Schnyder. It was created in 1958 by the renowned graphic designer Josef Müller-Brockmann (1914–1996) as part of a new corporate identity. The slim, elongated logo with the slanted W is still in use today.
In the course of his career, Josef Müller-Brockmann designed many wordmarks, logos, and entire visual identities for industrial and government enterprises. In his autobiography, he described the design of the corporate identity for the hygiene products manufacturer CWS as one of his most exciting commissions during the 1950s. In this era, the number of competing enterprises was growing, along with their need for a distinctive visual identity. This included not only catchy branding but also an integrally conceived corporate design encompassing all print and advertising media. For CWS, a Swiss company founded in 1954, Müller-Brockmann designed an elegant wordmark in a prolonged process involving innumerable sketches. It was constructed from the three initials C, W, and S of the founder’s name: Conrad Wolfgang Schnyder. The slim, elongated logo with the slanted W, which is still used today as a positive image in black and red and a negative image in white with black contours, was displayed on all printed materials and promotional items within a systematic layout grid. In an equally precise manner, product photos were added to the brochure layout along with text in the unpretentious Akzidenz Grotesk typeface. In its entirety, the structure and its elements contributed to a uniform, clean, and consequently confidence-inspiring image of the hygiene products manufacturer. The Atelier Müller-Brockmann and the subsequent agency Müller-Brockmann + Co. worked for this longstanding client until 1975. (Barbara Junod)