This is the eGuide number for the object. You can find it next to selected objects in the exhibition.
This is the location number for the object.
Click here to go to the main menu.
Click here to change languages.
Click here to change the font size and log in.
Click here to show the location of the object.
Zoom with two fingers and rotate images 360° with one finger. Swipe an object to the side to see the next one.
Click here for background information, biographies, legends, etc.
Click here to listen to spoken texts or audio files.
Share an object.
Download as PDF.
Add to saved objects.
 
Planter came, Spindel
Planter came, Spindel

Planter came, Spindel

g3E1
[{"lat":47.383127610728614,"lng":8.5362191154137},{"floor":"floorplan-1"}]
BF
GF
1
2
2
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Ausstellungsstrasse 60
8031 Zurich
Museum map
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Toni-Areal, Pfingstweidstrasse 94
8031 Zurich
6
j

When Eternit AG turned to the teachers at the Kunstgewerbeschule Zürich to request designs, only Willy Guhl (1915–2004) showed any interest in the strange material of fiber cement. In its unbound state, it was extremely malleable and, like plastic, could be shaped into any desired form. To get some ideas on what the material might be used for and how to work with it, the interior design class visited Eternit’s production plant in Niederurnen and, under the guidance of Willy Guhl, developed new planters such as the Spindel (spindle), which intelligently exploits the sculptural potential of the material to striking effect. The new planters were planted with grass and exhibited for the first time in 1952 in the foyer of the Kunstgewerbemuseum Zürich (today the Museum für Gestaltung Zürich).

Pflanzgefäss, Spindel
Willy Guhl, Anton G. Bee, 1952
Eternit (Schweiz) AG, CH
Image creditso

Pflanzgefäss, Spindel, 1952, Entwurf: Willy Guhl, Anton G. Bee
Zeichnung: Weicher Umbruch, Zürich